Comfort food usually comes with a hefty dose of calories and fat, but not in this recipe! We’re using acorn squash, turkey sausage, some veggies and quinoa to make this fulfilling cozy dish: Healthy Stuffed Winter Squash. You’ll wanna snuggle up in sweatpants on the couch with some tea after a meal like this!
Ingredients: (feeds 2, with some leftover quinoa)
- 3 turkey sausage links
- half an onion, chopped
- half a red pepper, diced
- olive oil
- sesame oil
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- chicken broth
- 1 acorn squash
- garlic clove (or more depending on how garlicky you like your food)
- your favorite shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
- drizzle a little olive oil in a large pan. Cook turkey sausage on medium heat.
- meanwhile, chop onion and red pepper; add to pan with sausage.
- cook 1/2 cup quinoa according to package directions. (Typically the liquid is double the amount of quinoa you’re using). Replace half of the water with chicken broth for added flavor.
- when veggies/turkey sausage are almost done cooking, add a few splashes of chicken broth to pan and scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pan (= flavor city!). You don’t want the veggies swimming in liquid so don’t use too much!
- use a garlic press, or finely chop your clove of garlic and add to the turkey sausage/veggie pan.
- Take acorn squash and cut it in half; remove seeds and place on a plate, cut side down with a little water. Microwave for 10 minutes (check for doneness).
- When squash is done, sprinkle cheese on the inside of it so it can melt.
- take the sausage out of the pan and cut into thin slices.
- add the cooked quinoa to the pan of veggies; add a good swirl of sesame oil to the pan and stir to thoroughly combine.
- fill the squash with the quinoa veggie mixture, and top with the sliced sausage.
I really love this dish becuase there are so many interesting flavors going on! You never tire of taking a bite. There’s the natural sweetness from the squash, the savory bit from the cheese, the salty and unique seasoning of the turkey sausage, and the sesame oil in the quinoa peeking through. It’s just so yummy!
Try it out, ya’ll!!
love & cupcakes,