I know it’s only June 23, but I have realized that in the blogging world you need to be ahead of the game when writing about things that people might want to replicate by a certain time. Case in point – this simple little DIY Patriotic Mani/Pedi. If I were to post this on 4th of July, who’s gonna stop what they’re doing and paint their nails? Not moi! I got fireworks to watch!
So for those of you that know me well, you know I love having nail polish on my nails at all times, and if I don’t it’s a rare occasion. I never spend the money on getting my nails done because, hello, $$ I don’t have, which means I get creative from time to time making mine fancy. I thought a great regular posting here at Perfect & Flawed would be a “Monthly Manicure” post. My plan is to post it every third Thursday. So if you’re a nail fanatic like me, you can have that to look forward to.
Anyways, I LOVE the 4th of July. It’s probably my favorite holiday. I’m not really sure why, but I think it has to do with being outdoors with family and friends, eating good food, and being nostalgic. There’s just an overall sense of happiness on this holiday in my opinion. And when I watch the fireworks go off at night I always get overwhelmed with emotion and get a little teary-eyed thinking about how good we have it here in the U.S. We have freedom and we have rights, safety, and the ability to do what we choose. I am so thankful for the country we live in, even with all its flaws (which, lately, there seems to be many).
Now, on to the fun part! I was inspired by Pinterest for this nail DIY – if you haven’t followed my Pinterest board, you need to!
Here’s what you need:
- red nail polish
- blue nail polish
- white nail polish with a skinny detail brush (or use normal white polish and a separate skinny brush for detail work)
- clear top coat
- nail file
- an orange stick or something to push your cuticles back
- cuticle oil
P.S. – I got my bottle of white polish at the dollar store! You can find a lot of those detail bottles at the dollar store I have found 🙂
- Paint all nails except ring fingers red
- Paint ring fingers blue
- Do 2 coats on everything and wait to dry
- Take your white nail polish and draw/paint a star on your ring fingers
- Wait for it to dry completely (to avoid dragging the color) and apply top coat
- Paint big toes blue
- Paint the rest of your toes red
- Do 2 coats of everything and wait to dry
- Take the white nail polish and draw/paint three little stars (or however many you have room for on your big toe!)
- Paint two THIN diagonal stripes on all the red toenails
- Wait to dry
- Add top coat to everything
Remember you can always remove the nail polish if you mess up. I find that if I’m not striving for perfection, it actually comes out a lot better than I planned!
Enjoy your handiwork (haha pun intended!)
love & cupcakes,